This is a summer platter that is perfect for brunch or a light sharing meal with the family. It takes less than 30 minutes to make, and is perfectly paired with poached eggs, or my Mediterranean Cheese Toast recipe!
This is a refreshing and light mix of the traditional hummus. You can definitely play around with this recipe and mix other spices in it as you wish. I love the addition of garlic powder instead of raw garlic, as it blends in really well with the avocado, and does not create the pungent flavour.
I used store bought sourdough for this recipe, you can certainly make your own and serve, but if you want something quick and easy, you can purchase a beautiful fresh loaf from the store and have this ready in minimal time. Same goes for the pesto!
Sourdough Bruschetta with Avocado Hummus
- 1 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 eggplant diced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dates diced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- extra olive oil for the drizzle
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsps greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp agave syrup or any sweetener
- Prepare the avocado hummus by blending all the ingredients, and pour into a bowl to keep aside
- On a rectangular parchment paper covered baking tray, place the sourdough slices in a line (fit as many as you can, leaving a bit of space on the top and bottom to bake the diced eggplant as well – instructions below)
- On each slice, generously spread the pesto, add a few pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, sprinkle some chopped dates & drizzle with some olive oil
- In a separate bowl, add the diced eggplant, chilli, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix together and place on the top and bottom of the baking tray.
- Bake the sourdough and eggplant for about 10-15 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius (or until the sourdough has turned golden on the edges)
- Once ready, plate the sourdough in a line on a rectangular serving dish, and add a little extra pesto on the edges of the sourdough where it may seem a little dry.
- Add the baked eggplant in a line across the sourdough (as per pic) and pour the avocado hummus across the platter before serving.
- You can sprinkle extra roasted nuts or seeds on this before serving too.
- Take a photo and tag @TheVeggieWifey!