My 5-ingredient, no onion, no garlic Mediterranean Cheese Toast…slathered with fresh pesto and chilli flakes!
No Onion? No Garlic?
I chose to make this with no onion and no garlic. Why?
- Starting your day with no heat producing ingredients that stimulate the nervous systems, especially in this summer heat, may be beneficial for some.
- Onions also contain fructans, that cause bloating in some people.
- In Ayurveda (a healing system developed some 3,000 years ago in ancient India) excessive consumption of onions are believed to cause irritability, and garlic is believed to deprive sleep and drain energy levels. Those practicing meditation or following a spiritual path are told to remove it from their diet.
This recipe takes 20 minutes and contains only 5 ingredients for the filling:
I hope you like it!
Mediterranean Cheese Toast
- Sharp knife
- Flat pan
- Large bowl
- 40-50 grams Halloumi Cheese diced
- 5-6 Pitted Olives diced
- 3-4 Gherkins diced
- 1/2 cup Canned Chickpeas
- 2 tbsps Pesto (basil)
- 2 slices bread whole-wheat
- Butter vegan/non-Vegan
- 1-2 tbsps Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, and using the back of a fork, mash the chickpeas into a crumbly texture
- Add all the other ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Spread a generous amount of butter on both sides of the bread slices
- On one side of one slice, cover the surface of the bread with the chickpeas mixture, then gently add the other slice to cover
- Place the flat pan over low to medium fire
- Gently place the sandwich on the heated pan, and using a flat utensil, press the sandwich down, cooking the buttered side of the bread
- Check if the bottom side is golden brown, then flip and repeat with the top side of the sandwich (continually press the sandwich down to melt and cook the inside of the sandwich)
- Once both sides are golden brown, take the sandwich off heat
- Using a sharp bread knife, cut the sandwich in half on a clean chopping board and serve with a drizzle of extra pesto at the opening of the sandwich.