Made using Midnight Collection: Black Alumite Nonstick Kadai and Chef’s Pan from Meyer. Use CODE MeyerxTVW for 10% off.
Start your day with this deliciously simple breakfast, packed with nutrients and flavour. This recipe will nourish your soul, and feed your heart because masala chai, and upma make everything better!
Upma is an Indian-style porridge, very high in protein. It is toasted semolina and nuts, spiced with mustard seeds, curry leaves and an onion and tomato masala. I have added moringa leaves to this recipe for some extra vitamin C and antioxidants to start your day.
Easy Indian Breakfast: Masala Chai and Upma
- 1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Chef's Pan from Meyer: Midnight Collection
- 1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Kadai with Lid from Meyer: Midnight Collection
- 1 cup sooji (semolina)
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh moringa leaves
- 1/2 tomato chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee
- 2 cups room temperature water
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 cups milk (full cream) you can use plant-based also
- 5 tbsps condensed milk depends how sweet you like it
- 2 tbsp black tea I use SOCIETY brand
- 2 tsp chai masala I bought mine from Regency Spices
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp lemongrass powder
- First toast the semolina and nuts in the kadai, until fragrant and light brown. Set this aside.
- Using the same kadai, add the ghee, mustard seeds, curry leaves and urad dal. Cook this on medium heat until the seeds start to crackle.
- Add the tomato, onions, moringa leaves, ginger, coriander and chilli. Sauté this until the water evaporates from the tomato, and the vegetables combine together.
- Add the toasted semolina, and nuts. Sauté this until everything is fully combined. You can add the salt, sugar and pepper at this stage.
- Slowly, add the water while mixing all the ingredients together. You can cover the kadai with the lid for 2 minutes to ensure the water is fully absorbed by the semolina, so it is completely cooked.
- Serve this warm!
- Over medium heat, add the milk, black tea, chai masala, cardamom powder, lemongrass powder to the MEYER chef's pan and mix together. Let this mixture reach a boil (you will start seeing the bubbles form at the top of the pan). Use a wooden spoon to help prevent the milk from spilling over. Let the spoon sit on the edge of the pan. Once it reaches a foamy bubbling boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the condensed milk to the chef’s pan and let it simmer on low heat for another 5-7 minutes.
- Strain the chai and serve in your favorite mug!