So this was a bit of a long-shot, because there is nothing like this on the internet. But I am all about fusing different flavors together, to create something magical, that is quick, easy, healthy and YUM.
I personally buy my own groceries for my family because I love seeing what new veggies I can incorporate in our meals. I’m always up for something new, and flavorful. I also like to compare prices at different markets to know for future how I can be more economical about our groceries. We cook a lot at home, and if I am not mindful about it, it can be a massive expense.
I saw these Chinese chestnuts in the market and wanted to try them out. These nuts are great for roasting, but also extremely healthy. It is a great source of fibre, and antioxidants.
What I’ve done in this recipe, is added these chestnuts to an apple and fennel salad, and then slow-roasted the whole thing with some of my typical salad flavours: avocado oil, balsamic cream and apple cider vinegar. It was a hit.
For those of you who don’t usually use fennel in your food, it is part of the carrot family (although the stalks smell like celery, and the bulb of the veggie looks like an onion), it tastes a lot like a hybrid of cabbage and a lettuce. It is known to be a natural laxative and great source of fibre as well. It is also extremely nutritious.
Slow-Roasted Apple, Fennel and Chestnut Salad
- 1 Palm Peeler See my amazon store for this (see notes for the link)
- 1 Knife I use Smeg, also in my amazon store
- 1 Baking tray
- Parchment Paper
- Chopping Board
- 1 Fennel sliced (do not use the stalks)
- 1/4 Purple onion diced
- 2 Small red apples sliced
- 4 Chinese chestnuts peeled
- Handful of Sun-dried tomatoes diced
- 1 Green bird's eye chilli chopped
- 1 Red bird's eye chilli chopped
- 4-5 tbsps Avocado oil
- 2 tbsps Balsamic cream
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- In a parchment lined baking tray, add all of the ingredients and stir together
- Roast in the oven for at 100 degrees Celsius, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.