Sage is an aromatic herb and a member of the mint family. It’s uses range from medicinal to ornaments but it is commonly used in Mediterranean cooking.
Since sage tastes quite bitter, it is best combined with cream or butter to create a good balance of flavours.
I used fettuccine for this recipe because according to Bon Appetite, the wider the noodle, the heavier the sauce. Fettuccine and pappardelle are best used for heavier sauces, while thinner pastas are best for delicate sauces.
The combination of sage, garlic and fettuccine is divine. The kitchen will smell gorgeous and you will be drooling while serving this on a plate. Don’t forget to tag me or send me your recreations if you make this. I would love to share!
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 2 tsps of dry sage from (or fresh, whatever you have access to)
- 2 tbsps of unsalted butter
- 4 tbsps of olive oil
- 8 leaves of fresh basil, chopped (fresh basil is always better)
- 3/4 cup of cooking cream
- 2-3 rolls of fresh fettuccine
- 3-4 brown button mushrooms (sliced
- 1.5 tsps of salt
- Chilli flakes
- In a saucepan of boiling water, place the fresh egg fettuccine in to boil for 3-5 mins (if you prefer al dente, 3 mins should be fine). Strain, and rinse gently with cool water. Keep aside.
- In a medium sized pan, over medium heat, add 2 tbsps of olive oil. Let the oil heat up.
- Add half the shallots, and stir for 1-2 mins until fragrant.
- Add half the garlic, stir it in.
- Add the half the basil, half the sage and half the butter. It should be very fragrant by this time. Stir it all in for 2 mins
- Add 1/2 cup cooking cream and let it simmer for 2 mins.
- Taste the mixture, add 1 tsp of salt to taste or more as you like. Then add some chilli flakes.
- Stir in the pasta and let it soak in the sauce for a few mins before transferring it to a serving plate.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil, and repeat steps 2-5 with the remaining spices and other ingredients.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until it sweats.
- Add the remaining cooking cream and let it simmer for 2 mins before pouring this mixture over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with pepper and chilli flakes before serving.
All recipes and images are copyright and the intellectual property of ‘The Veggie Wifey’, and cannot be altered or redistributed for commercial or other purposes.