Laksa is a spicy noodle soup with an array of vibrant flavors: lemon grass, dried chilli, shallots, garlic, galangal and curry. This ancient delicacy is served in most Southeast Asian countries and served with crushed peanuts, and chopped chives or spring onion. It is normally made with shrimp paste and fish sauce, but this vegan version will help you veggies enjoy it just as much without it.
Did you know, the word ‘Laksa’ actually originates from the ancient Persian word for ‘noodles’. So how did a Persian worded dish end up in Southeast Asia? Thank the historical Spice Route and Maritime Silk Road! Whoever said history has nothing to do with food was so wrong.
The spice route was crucial in the development of several multicultural dishes and cuisines around the world by trading Indian, Middle Eastern and North African spices. The operation of the Maritime Silk Road that came after that helped trade those commodities further into China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
So, Laksa was introduced to the shores of Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia through Chinese explorers. Hence why this dish is a mix of Chinese noodle soup, coconut milk, galangal, lemon grass, turmeric and curry!
Hope you enjoy this veg version! Don’t forget to tag me or send me your recreations if you make this. I would love to share!
Serves 2 | 30 minutes |
- 3 whole chillies (half that if you are sensitive to spice) or 1-2 tsps of Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5″ ginger (grated)
- 3 tbsp of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 6-8 cashew nuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Hard tofu thinly sliced
- 2 cups of Kallo Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 pieces of galangal
- 2 cups rice noodles (fresh)
- Chopped peanuts
- Add all laksa paste ingredients in a food processor. Keep aside.
- Boil the rice noodles for 1-2mins, drain a little and keep aside in the tepid water.
- Heat a skillet, add laksa paste.
- Sauté for a minute until fragrant, add vegetables and stir until crispy (not mushy or tender)
- Add vegetable stock, coconut milk, sugar, lime juice, salt.
- Bring to boil, and simmer until it thickens. Remove from heat and taste. Add salt, sugar or lime to adjust taste if necessary
- In serving bowls, add rice noodles and then pour in the soup with vegetables.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts, chilli flakes, coriander and julienned veggies.
All recipes and images are copyright and the intellectual property of ‘The Veggie Wifey’, and cannot be altered or redistributed for commercial or other purposes.