Hummus is savoury dip or spread traditionally made with mashed chickpeas and blended with tahini, lemon and olive oil. This creamy texture of flavours dates back to 13th century ancient Egypt, when chickpeas was harvested in abundance.
As communities migrated throughout the Middle East and North Africa, so did this staple dish. Hummus today has several variations and adapted flavours.
Here, I have created a spicy black bean hummus that is quick, healthy and tasty!
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of tahini
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tbsp of olive oil/grape-seed oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper (chopped)
- A pinch of crushed red pepper
- Place the garlic in the blender and blend until smooth
- Place the rest of the ingredients in the blender, and blend together.
- For an extra kick, you can add more ground red pepper or cayenne pepper. You can even add some basil or mint on the side.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with pita or whole-grain chips.