Dan Dan Noodles (担担面) is a noodle dish made with a spicy peanut soup base, that originates from the streets of Sichuan, China. This delicious hawker food staple is deliciously flavorful and full of spice.
What is Dan Dan?
Dan Dan refers to the carrying pole that street vendors used to carry around in Sichuan, China, serving noodles and this very special sauce. It is typically made with pork and extra numbing Sichuan peppercorns.
Yes, that is right! Skippy peanut butter is my secret ingredient here. It creates this amazing creamy, and rich texture that goes beautifully with the spice.
Serves 3 | 30 minutes | 348 calories
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
Spicy Sichuan style noodles that are a great addition to your weekly dinner menu! You won't be able to tell this is vegan.
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Sharp knife
- 2 Mixing bowls
- 1 Blender
- 1 Cast iron balti dish
- Measuring spoons
- 150 grams of diced king oyster mushrooms diced into small squares
- 2 tbsp organic soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 tbsp of chili bean paste or any spicy chilli paste of your liking
- 3 tbsp peanut butter I used Skippy because it brings out the best flavour for this recipe
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red chilli pepper flakes or powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Boiled soba noodles enough for 3 people
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Chiu Chow chilli oil or Guilin style chilli sauce for garnish
- Place the diced mushrooms in a bowl and add the soya sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
Prepare The Dan Dan Sauce
- Add garlic, ginger, the chilli paste, Chinese black vinegar and peanut butter in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Cooking The Dan Dan Sauce
- In a medium sized Balti dish over medium heat, add the marinated mushrooms and sauté. Then add the red chilli flakes, puréed chilli paste and sitr together until it is fully combined.
- Add the rice wine and vegetable stock. Continue stirring.
- Bring the sauce to a lively simmer, then add 1 tsp of brown sugar to balance to saltiness. Keep it simmering for another 2 minutes
- Rinse your boiled soba in hot water or you can place in boiling water for a minute, before you drain and start plating you noodles.
Plating The Dan Dan Noodles
- In a ramen bowl, add the warm soba noodles.
- Gently pour over a cup of the warm Dan Dan sauce, or until the noodles are fully immersed.
- Garnish with scallions and a dollop of the Guilin style chilli sauce.
- Serve hot!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!